You can just step out the back door and head up the trail to the left of the parking area. From there, go across the field to the top corner and head into the woods or go out into the farm fields. Just beware of any electric fences, but they are not dangerous and easy to see. One was just on the other side of the stone wall, leaving our property.
NOTE: Romantic Retreat snowshoes are located in bin inside shed next to cabin.
Little loft snowshoes are in bin inside basement.
X-country Areas (most have rentals, too, but call to confirm):
WARREN (15 minutes North on Rt 100 to Plunkton Rd.)
- Ole’s X-Country Center (802) 496-3430
- (45 km of groomed trails, rentals and well maintained)
- Blueberry Lake X-Country Ski Center (802) 496-6687
- (dogs welcome, ski, snowshoe and fat bike rentals)
MIDDLEBURY GAP (10 minutes South on Rt 100, then 10 mins west on Rt 125):
- RIKERT NORDIC CENTER (802) 443-2744 7days/wk: 8:30-4:30pm
- (Located on the Breadloaf Campus of Middlebury College)
- Very extensive world class network of trials
X-country Rentals (NOT needed if you go to x-country centers):
ROCHESTER (15 minutes South: 3485, Rt 100)
- Nordic Adventures 802 767-3996 Fri 3-6pm, Sat 9-5, Sun 10-5
- (CALL BEFORE for rentals)
WAITSFIELD (25 minutes North on Rt 100)
- Clear Water Sports 802 496-2708 M-F 10- 6, Sat 9- 6, Sun 10-5 4147 Main St., Waitsfield
- (Ski rentals, sales, clothing, gear, etc.)
- Mad River Glen Ski Shop (MRG base) 802 496–3551 Mon-Sun 8am-6pm
- (Guided tours from the base of MRG)
- MAD RIVER VALLEY X-Country and Snowshoeing